Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Getting down to business...

I have been debating a lot of things to help in building a successful photography business and looking for any insight from others who have been through these initial stages. Any help from fellow photographers would be appreciated :)

I'm thinking of doing/buying the following:

1. Registering in an online Business Administration Diploma with SAIT
Has anyone taken this course either online or in classroom? Any advice about how it would benefit or courses that are crucial to running a business?

2. Buying studio lighting
Any advice on brand? What do you consider your ESSENTIAL tools for a studio photo shoot?

3. Purchasing backdrops
Any opinions on different materials of backgrounds or what you use in certain situations....muslin? seamless paper roll? Canvas? Green screen? What size would be beneficial for all sizes of groups (including dance group portraits)?

I just purchased a Manfrotto backdrop stand and a 9' roll of studio grey paper backdrop (WOOOO new gear!!!!), but I am still looking for opinions on type and what you like best!

4. Studio space
Does anyone have a current studio? Do you want a location that could potentially have a lot of walk-in clients? Any advice on studio space and size of space would be appreciated!

5. Purchasing another lens
If I am working in a studio and doing portraits, what lens would you recommend? 24-70mm so I have a range? Fixed lens? I currently own a 50mm 1.4 and a 70-200mm (not a great lens). Looking to invest in some quality lenses that can be used for a lot of different styles of photography.

6. Marketing
Any great marketing tools that people are willing to share? I have a few ideas from books and research but haven't personally tried any of them, so looking for someone with experience in this area!

7. Photography seminars and mentoring sessions
I have been doing a lot of research in this area and have found MANY different online courses and mentoring sessions all over the place. Has anyone taken any really good ones that they would recommend? I want to spend money where I know I will get out quality information out of it. Could be a risk I have to take, but seeing if anyone else out there has maybe been here before wondering the same thing?!

Any information and advice anyone has, whether business or photography related would be appreciated as I am looking to really build something off my passion. Thanks so much!

M

1 comment:

  1. I use Paul C Buff Einstein for studio lighting and love them. Best bang for your buck. I love the PLM light modifier. http://www.paulcbuff.com/

    Take a look at this package: http://www.paulcbuff.com/pkg-thegenius.php

    I shoot with the 70-200mm on my nikon d3S for studio work. I love the effect it gives. This was shot using my einstein strobe using a 70-200mm lens http://500px.com/photo/23852909

    buzz me on FB and I would love to give you some tips. I have a studio as well as larger ones I have access to.

    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Eye-Squared/163559660743

    Cheers

    Great work you have done so far. I like your portrait work.

    Paul

    ReplyDelete